Friday, December 3, 2010

Food Friday!!


I'm going to try to bring back my food Fridays that I started on my old blog. Every Friday I will post the yummy recipes I made that week, and I'll post the titles of some recipes that I'd like to try in the coming week. I have to confess... I love recipes. I have a million cookbooks, a million recipes copied from cookbooks from the library and a million on index cards. Although cooking the same things over and over is easy(and they are our favorite recipes) I want to try new recipes. Switch things up. :D And, I love my husband, he isn't picky and he will tell me the truth about a recipe. So, here are some great ones that I used this week.

Crunchy Oven French Toast 
This french toast is delicious! Orange juice gives it just a touch of citrus flavor and wheat germ gives is a wonderful crunch! I topped mine with pure maple syrup. SO GOOD!
Ingredients:
1 Tbsp margarine
3 Tbsp wheat germ
1/4 c orange juice
1 Tbsp honey
3 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
6 slices bread
2 Tbsp wheat germ

Preheat oven to 450. Heat margarine in jelly roll pan, 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1", in oven until melted; spread evenly in a pan. Sprinkle 3 Tbsp wheat germ evenly over margarine. Beat orange juice, honey, egg whites, vanilla extract, and cinnamon with hand beater until foamy. Dip bread into egg mixture; place in pan. Drizzle remaining egg mixture over bread. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp wheat germ evenly over bread. Bake about 10 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown. Turn and bake 6 to 8 minutes longer or until bottoms are golden brown.


 Photo from onefrugalfoodie.com
Taco Seasoning
Ingredients:
8 tsp dried minced onion
2 Tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 1 year.
Yield: 6 tablespoons.  


"Fried" Onion Rings
These onion rings are as good as fried! And my healthier. They are nice and light and crispy. 

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. seasoned dried bread crumbs
2 eggs 
2 large onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick and separated into double rings

1. Preheat oven to 400. Spray a nonstick baking sheet with nonstick spray. Mix the flour and salt on a small plate. Put the bread crumbs in a small bowl. Put the eggs(beat with fork) in a small bowl.
2. Coat each double onion ring on both sides with the flour mixture, shake off excess; dip into the eggs, then into the crumbs. (I swirled the onion ring around in the bowl, flipped it over and swirled some more.) Transfer to the baking sheet; spray with nonstick spray(don't overdo it).
3. Bake until browned on bottom, 10 minutes. Turn and bake until browned. about 5-10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts