Sunday, October 21, 2012

Vegan Grilled Asparagus Wraps

    Ok, so I'm not really vegan, and even when I made this today, they ended up not being vegan because of the mayonaise I added in. But I tucked this recipe away in my folder months ago when my husband and I looked into this thing called Forks Over Knives. But at the time I was 8 months pregnant and had no desire to do a complete overhaul of our diet. Maybe one day we'll look into it more, but for now we'll enjoy our meat and animal products- and enjoy some vegan and vegetarian meals thrown into the mix.
    And yes, hello blog world, I'm back! I'm back during the last week of my 12 week maternity leave. This is the week I either do everything I meant to do during my leave or I do nothing but enjoy the last week with my sweet baby boy. I can only imagine that you're wondering why I returned to blogging with a post on a meal I made and not cute pictures of my boy... I don't know why myself. But, they will come. :D
   You might think this recipe and picture look way too healthy but let me assure you that my husband loved it! He kept telling me they were "really, really good" and "one of his top 5 recipes". (Sidenote: I want to do a Top 5 series and might do one on his top 5 favorite meals). I unfortunately halved the recipe so when he wanted seconds there were none...   Following is the original recipe and my version-

Vegan Grilled Asparagus Wraps (Serves 4)
     from VeganCoach.com
  • For the Vegan version please see their website.
Roasted Asparagus Wraps
My Version (Serves 2)

1/2 c uncooked quinoa
Sea salt and ground pepper
1 Tb lemon juice
1 tsp dried thyme
2 Tb mayonaise
12 medium asparagus spears (I used frozen)
1/4 vidalia onion, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
1 Tb exra-virgin olive oil
2 tortillas
1/2 c spinach

1. Heat a large skillet. Add quinoa and toast until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add 1 cup water and stir. Bring to a boil. Cover, and lower heat to a simmer until quinoa is tender and quinoa filaments are visible. Turn off heat, and drain quinoa, if necessary. Stir in lemon juice, mayo, and thyme. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover with lid to keep warm.
2.  Preheat oven to 375. Line cookie sheet with foil. Place asparagus and onion on foil and spray or drizzle with oil. Roast 10 minutes or until onions have softened.
3. Spread 1/2 of the quinoa over a tortilla. Place some onions and 6 asparagus spears on the quinoa. Top with spinach. Roll each sandwich tightly and cut in half, using wooden skewers or toothpicks to hold together, if needed.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts